It is not currently a requirement for UK food products to include fibre in the nutritional breakdown on the pack. Some products show fibre, but many do not. As we use food labels as our data source, until this changes, Nutracheck doesn’t track fibre.
Q. How much fibre do we need?
A. 30g a day
Most adults only manage around 12g per day.
5 tips to get more fibre in your diet
- Eat at least 5 portions of fruit and veg every day – ideally more.
- Make wholegrains the rule and refined grains the exception i.e. choose brown not white.
- Always have breakfast and choose a high fibre cereal or wholemeal toast.
- Replace meat in casseroles and stews with beans (e.g. kidney beans or chickpeas) and lentils to cut calories and increase fibre.
- Include extra pulses in home-made soup e.g. pea and ham, lentil or minestrone soup with a mix of beans.
10 good sources of fibre