General advice to follow over Christmas
1. Aim to maintain! Don’t worry about losing weight, maintaining over Christmas is success.
2. Keep exercising as often as you can.
3. Keep a rough diary throughout to maintain some focus.
4. Plan in advance for indulgent days and make sure you bank some calories.
5. Don’t beat yourself up if you take a couple of days off – it’s Christmas!
10 practical tips to try
1. Take the pastry off the top of your mince pie (or buy mini mince pies).
2. Remove the skin from your turkey.
3. Add your veg to your plate first, less room for everything else.
4. Have one less roast potato.
5. Add a handful of ice to your wine glass before pouring – less room for wine!
6. Bulk out your stuffing balls with healthy grains such as rice or quinoa instead of sausage meat.
7. Swap a glass of Baileys for a glass of champagne – saving around 70 kcal.
8. Offer to be the designated driver to keep the calories down and willpower in check.
9. Keep treats for Christmas day out of sight, or don’t buy them until nearer the time.
10. Start your new year’s resolutions early – why wait until January, start on the 27th Dec.
Keep winter colds at bay
Getting ill over Christmas not only spoils the fun, but can ruin any good intentions you may have had.
Follow these tips to keep yourself well nourished:
1. Eat plenty of fruit and veg – especially berries, citrus fruits and green leafy veg which are packed full of vitamin C.
2. Stock up on tasty winter warmers such as soups and casseroles, to keep you warm and well nourished.
3. Continue with moderate intensity exercise – studies have shown this may boost immunity.